My Tweet Board

    Thursday, March 4, 2010

    Work hard. Work smart. Right place?

    In the days of our parents, nothing beats the notion of working hard. “If you work hard, you will surely succeed.” We heard this statement since young. I can only say it works when you are in the 70’s era. But moving into my era of the 90’s, working hard no longer guarantees success. The new slogan is “Work smart not hard.” How truth this statement was for a period of time. But if you are like me, in my mid 30’s, worked for about 10 years, this statement of working smart no longer holds such a revelation to success anymore.

    Example: Accountant in a MNC vs Accountant in a SME
    If you are working in a MNC, you will be given the prestige of showing off a namecard bearing a nice logo and maybe a fancy title. You will be 1 of the many Accountants in the office. To be able to shine and climb up the corporate ladder, you will have to work hard, work smart and pray that not too many people perform like yourself. Then maybe you will be given a chance to do something more like Group Accounts or Consolidation.

    If you are working in a SME, you do not have the perfumed namecards, you will have to work very hard, cos no one else is there to help you much. But once there is an opportunity to be promoted, you will stand a pretty good chance. The probability is higher.

    So is this a case of working hard, working smart or just being at the right place?

    Recently, there was an opening for a promotion in my life. Different people from different departments are given equal chance to be selected. Needless to say, I was not selected (if not I won’t be writing this right?). The reason for not being selected is becos in my department, I am not the most outstanding. But if I were to place everyone on a linear graph, I would probably be one of the top few. Which means I should or can be in the promotion list.

    Did I work hard? I think so.
    Did I work smart? I believe so.
    Am I in the right department? Maybe not!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment