My Tweet Board

    Saturday, August 8, 2009

    Number 11

    Over the years, I have never thought of a single number as my favourite. But if I were to choose, I think the number 11 is a number I really like. Don’t have a specific reason for it. Just a liking.

    Since my schooling days, maths has been my best subject. I am just good with numbers. Resulting in my choice to be an Accountant now. I remember numbers better than names, I remember numbers better than words.

    11 is the number of my volleyball jersey in primary school. 11 is also the jersey number I wore for 1 year in secondary school before switching to the number 8. I proposed to Kless on 11 Jan 2002. I stayed on the 11th floor for most of my years.

    Did a research on the web and found out that in Bible Numerics, the number 11 means revelation. How cool is that! Check out this website to know more.

    http://vic.australis.com.au/hazz/Numbers.html

    11 is the number of revelation. The first time 11 is mentioned in the Bible is:
    ”And he (Jacob) rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two women-servants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.” Gen 32:22

    At this time Jacob’s wife Rachael was pregnant with his 12th son Benjamin. Jacob and his family were returning to the lands of his father after many years away. Jacob originally left to flee his brother Esau's wrath after tricking him out of their fathers birthright. Upon this return trip he sought to placate Esau with gifts before he actually met him. They crossed the ford Jabbok the night before they finally met Esau. It was this night that Jacob spent wrestling with an angel and was rewarded with a blessing. His name was changed from Jacob to Israel meaning a prince of God. Thus the first mention of 11 occurs on the night that Jacob receives revelation from God that he is to be known as a prince of God.

    Jacob's 11th son was Joseph, who received in a dream a revelation that it would come to pass that, all his brethren and his parents would bow down to him. In due course he was sold into slavery in Egypt. There, God allowed him to reveal the meaning of dreams, firstly to pharaoh's baker and butler then to pharaoh himself. Thus in Israel's 11th son the theme of revelation is clearly seen.

    The Bible is Gods revelation to us as such we could expect 11 to figure strongly in its organization and construction. In fact the incidence of 11 in the overall organization of the Bible is probably the strongest evidence for the meaning of the number. Firstly note that the sum of the numbers from 1 to 11 is 66 (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 = 66). This is the number of books in the entire Bible. Thus the number 11 is intimately tied to the definitive work of revelation, the Word of God. Remember that 6 is the number of man, so 6 times 11 could represent a revelation unto man - the Bible.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment